St. Paul, Texas History and Information
Serving all of St. Paul Texas
Resources by City
* = unincorporated
St. Paul, Texas Photos
St. Paul Texas, a History
The town of St. Paul, Texas, was established in 1971. Formerly in the ETJ of Wylie, Texas, St.Paul was established to preserve the spacious, rural environment the residents had become accustomed to and to eliminate unnecessary taxes, rules and regulations of Wylie.
The Town was named after the Catholic cemetery, which was donated by the James Gallagher family in the late 1800's. It is just east of Town Hall on St. Paul Rd. At that time, St. Paul Road was referred to as Scanlan Hill as the Scanlans owned all the surrounding property.
The amount of land area in St Paul is 3.567 sq. kilometers, none of it is water. The distance from St Paul to Washington DC is 1208 miles and the distance to the Texas state capital is 202 miles as the crow flies. St Paul is positioned 33.04 degrees north of the equator and 96.54 degrees west of the prime meridian. Getting more down to it, St. Paul is on Farm Road 2514 just off of Farm Road 1378, eleven miles south of McKinney in southern Collin County.
Post Office and Trains
In 1876 St. Paul had its own post office, and in 1890 it had thirty residents, a general store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. Mail arrived three times a week. In 1894 the post office was withdrawn.
A school had been started at the community before 1880 and was still operating in 1900. In the 1930s highway maps showed a school, a church, and scattered dwellings in the area. During the 1970s the town had a population of 150, and by the mid-1970s it had incorporated, choosing the Alderman form of government. The first elected aldermen were John Scanlan, J. E. (Jesse) Gibson, Howard Finley, Philip M. Lawrence and Bob Hubenthal.
In April, 1972, Mr. Don Hayter, the Town's appointed attorney, held St. Paul's first elections. All residents over 18 years of age, and living in St. Paul for at least 6 months, were eligible to run for office. The Town's first elected mayor was Mr. Darryl Gumm, who served from 1972 to 1974.
In the early 1980's, the residents expressed an interest in establishing a volunteer fire department in St. Paul. Fire department equipment was purchased from the City of Renner. On March 8, 1982, Darryl Gumm was appointed the Fire Chief for the Town of St. Paul.
St. Paul is served by the Wylie ISD.
Y´all come back now, Ya hear!?
We would like to invite you to visit us when you can. We think Collin County is great! Come share it with us!
Links on this site do not necessarily constitute an endorsement by Collin County Station or any parties involved. We are not a part of the government of the County of Collin in the State of Texas.
If you find errors or know of sources to validate sections or information provided on this site, please inform the Webmaster. Thanks!
|© Collin County Station. All rights reserved||SiteMap||FeedBack||Advertising on Collin County Station||Visitors||About us||This Site Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional||Policy|