McKinney Texas History and Information
Serving all of McKinney Texas
Resources by City
* = unincorporated
McKinney Texas, a History
McKinney is at the intersection of U.S. highways 380 and 75, thirty-two miles north of Dallas. That's about 33°11'50"N 96°38'23"W (33.197210, -96.639751), or however you want to say it. The old Town Square is a bit east and south of there.
The first post office was also established in 1848, and Joel F. Stewart became the postmaster. Following Stewart were:
The 1911 Mckinney Post Office was designed by architect J. H. Suttle. The building is a characteristic and well preserved example of an Italianate Post Office. The tile roof, ornamental columns, eaves and window configuration are common to the American Post Office after 1910. These elements and the three bay arched recessed entry define the facade. It was the fourth Post Office to serve the area, the structure was deeded to Collin County by the Federal Government in 1959 and in 1982 became a Collin County Museum.
The Mural in the 1911 Post Office building
Titled: Confederate Company Leaving McKinney, 1934
McKinney is served primarily by the McKinney Independent School District, but some western areas of McKinney are zoned to nearby Frisco Independent School District and southern areas to Allen Independent School District.
Colleges and Universities
McKinney is the home of the Central Campus of Collin County Community College, also known as 'Quad-C', which opened in January 1986.
Noted people born in McKinney
McKinney was named for Collin McKinney, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and author of a bill establishing counties in the northern part of the state. On March 24, 1849, William Davis, who owned 3,000 acres where McKinney now stands, donated 120 acres for the townsite. Ten years later McKinney was incorporated, and in 1913 the town adopted the commission form of government.
For the first 125 years of its history McKinney served as the principal commercial center for the county. The county seat provided farmers with flour, corn, and cotton mills, cotton gins, a cotton compress and cottonseed oil mill, as well as banks, churches, schools, newspapers, and, from the 1880s, an opera house. Businesses also came to include a textile mill, an ice company, a large dairy, and a garment-manufacturing company.
The population grew from 35 in 1848 to 4,714 in 1912. By 1953 McKinney had a population of more than 10,000 and 355 businesses. The town continued to serve as an agribusiness center for the county until the late 1960s.
By 1970 McKinney was surpassed in size by Plano. McKinney experienced moderate population growth, from 15,193 in the 1970 census, to 21,283 in the 1990 census. By the mid-1980s the town had become a commuter center for residents who worked in Plano and Dallas. In 1985 it had a population of just over 16,000 and supported 254 businesses. Since then, McKinney's rate of increase has been much more dramatic. In the 2000 census, McKinney had grown to 54,369 with 2,005 businesses, and in the Census Bureau's 2006 estimate, the population was 107,530. The NCTCOG's 2007 population estimate for McKinney is 112,000.
McKinney is served by two U.S. highways: US 75 and US 380. Collin County Regional Airport is also located in McKinney. The city is also bordered by State Highway 121 (S.H. 121); portions of the highway are currently under construction with the intention of creating a toll-based roadway. Unlike nearby city Plano, the DART light rail train does not currently access McKinney. However, future plans may include utilizing existing railway for the project to reach the city.
Farmers and manufacturers were able to ship their goods on the Houston and Texas Central Railway, which reached McKinney in 1872, and, beginning in 1881, on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. From 1908 to 1948 the Texas Electric Railroad, running from Denison to Dallas and Waco, served McKinney.
In 1943 the United States Army built the 1,500-bed Ashburn General Hospital (now the McKinney Job Corps Center) in McKinney.
On May 3, 1948, the county seat was struck by a tornado that killed three persons, injured forty-three, and destroyed an estimated $2 million worth of property.
Y´all come back now, Ya hear!?
We would like to invite you to visit us when you can. We think Collin County is great! Come share it with us!
Links on this site do not necessarily constitute an endorsement by Collin County Station or any parties involved. We are not a part of the government of the County of Collin in the State of Texas.
If you find errors or know of sources to validate sections or information provided on this site, please inform the Webmaster. Thanks!
|© Collin County Station. All rights reserved||SiteMap||FeedBack||Advertising on Collin County Station||Visitors||About us||This Site Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional||Policy|